Featured Post

It's been almost 10 years but we are finally adding on...

No, we are haven't a baby. But we are finishing the basement and garage apartment! After nearly a year's worth of intervi...

Welcome

We have moved!!! YAY!!! June 27th. The house was completed approximately 7 months after demolition. We are now OPEN FOR BUSINESS (so to speak- give us warning to put the guest sheets on the bed after we go buy a guest bed)

MOVING DAY!!!

MOVING DAY!!!
please don't rain...

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Do you know how it feels?

Have you ever had frustration beyond frustration?
The house is delayed and not all the best planning in the world is going to let us move in this weekend. So, the time I took off work, the scheduled movers- it's all for nothing. You ask: what has happened?
Well- to put it without bias- the electrical company dug through the root system of our 100 year old tree. So, now we have to get the arborist to assess the tree before we can do the driveway and we need the driveway to do the landscaping. You can't get the CO without a driveway or landscaping. So, I met with the city arborist and she suggested getting a professional arborist's assessment. He can't meet until Saturday. All the outside stuff has to wait until then. In addition, it rained the other night so the carpet people couldn't put the carpet in. They need dry land or a driveway to do the carpet. Obviously, the driveway's not done not to mention the fact that the carpet company now needs to reschedule to another date since they are busy the rest of the week. You can't get your Certificate of Occupancy (CO) if you don't have flooring. Also, the county has not yet done the pressure test on the gas line which we need done in order to set up our gas service. We need gas service to get our CO. So, there you have it in a nutshell. (I think I just noticed a few more gray hairs...)
I guess you are supposed to expect these set-backs, but we do feel a little ill prepared for one like this. Especially with Jason't tight travel schedule and my having to block patients on my schedule- we need to plan WAY ahead of time. (sigh)

1 comment:

SarcastiCarrie said...

Well, huh.

At least the house looks nice. Good choice of stone on the water table.

I cannot for the life of me understand why the municipality cares whether you have carpeting or just underlayment. If I decided to get new carpet and pulled up my old carpet, would they deny me the right to live in my house until I installed the new carpet (if so, we'd never be living in our house...my husband always has something torn apart...I'm not even sure the cover has ever been on our breaker box).

I also do not understand why they care about your landscaping. I can see requiring grade and maybe even requiring that you throw down hydroseed or something, but the rest seems rather picky.

As for the pressure test, that sounds like a FABULOUS idea so you don't blow yourselves up. That's the point of COs as far as I can tell. And stuff with electricity. And maybe some plumbing, although you won't usually kill yourself with plumbing (unless you run the waste to your faucet, ick).